The Art of Inspiration

I find myself so often pulled towards so many wonderful things.  I want to read long lists of books.  I want to learn French, Hebrew, and German.  I want to wear pearls with every outfit.  I want to listen to every Train album and I want to run a mile without breaking a sweat.

But that is the inevitability of inspiration isn't it.  It just disintegrates into a To-Do List, and that sucks the life out of the inspiration that motivated you in the first place.  What a cruel trick.

It's funny how it starts.  It can be something as simple as a cup of coffee.  The color reminds you of the color of your mother's hair.  The smell reminds you of how your sister smelled of coffee grounds when she used to come home from her job as a barista.  The shape of the cup could make you think of of a quaint little coffee shop you love in Ft. Worth.  That in turn makes you want to move to Ft. Worth open a coffee shop and live the rest of your life happily ever after.

However, after the tumbling of this snowball of great ideas comes to a halt the consequential feeling is that this will never be possible for reasons xyz, and isn't that just sad, awful, and unfair.

Don't misunderstand me, I do not mean that dreaming is bad for you in any way.  Of course we should have aspirations and goals.  They are what make life worth living.  These ideas, likes, and inspirations make up our personalities.

What I am saying is inspiration should not morph into a reason to place guilt on yourself.  When you are inspired, whatever you are inspired by, be present in that moment.  Just like you don't take something you love and ruin it by trying to make millions from it, you don't expect every inspiration to become the quintessential moment of your life.

The moral of the story: Love the moment!  Love it to death.




Signing off...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts