Painting Faces

I randomly remembered a moment from about a year ago the other day. I was face painting at the gym at school one night. There were tons of sweet kids asking for Spiderman faces, pretty pink flowers etc. They were all very impressed with my skills, when the truth is I was terrible! (God bless the imagination of a child!) 

One girl came up to me and asked for me to draw Dora the Explorer on her cheek. I asked if she liked watching the show. She said no. She went on to tell me that the only reason she was getting Dora was because her friends were making her. 

My brush froze in mid-air. I looked at her for a moment and smiled. I asked her, "Why don't you tell me what YOU would like for me to paint?" She beamed and quickly changed her choice to Ariel the Little Mermaid. 

Sometimes as an adult I forget to NOT care what other people think of me. I find myself trying to adjust myself to make other people happy. I was glad I was able to help this little girl be herself...if just for a moment.

Through this experience not only was I able to help this little girl—she helped me.  She helped me to remember to see myself not through the eyes of others but through the eyes of those who love and know me best.  

Sometimes we feel the need to paint on a face that will appeal to whoever might be in front of us. We think we need to appease others in order to make it through life.  But in truth we simply need to unlock the child in each one of us and live our lives as happy as a little one with a newly painted face! 


Above: That's me...in the hat. lol

Signing off for now...



Comments

Popular Posts