The Curious Case of Us

I recently read the story of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I have to tell you it broke my heart.  I don't know exactly what Mr. Fitzgerald's intentions were in writing this story, or if he had any hidden meaning to this curious metaphor, but it hit me in such a way that I had to tell someone about what it meant to me.

If you don't happen to know the plot of the short story the gist is Benjamin Button is born an old man. As he grows older he looks younger and younger.  You can imagine the kinds of problems this presents but the parts that tore at me most were when he was very young (while looking eighty years of age) and when he was very old (while looking like a small child).  During these times in his life he was treated with such contempt.  At both ends of his life he was considered a bother, an embarrassment, someTHING to put up with.

The reason this hit me so hard is I have a problem with how both children and the elderly are treated in this country today.  Every couple is expected to have at least one child, but the second they do they start to complain about their love lives going down the toilet, how they never have any time for a social life, or how they just can't wait to get a break.

Obviously every family in America has at least one elderly relative in it.  Someone has to take care of them.  So what do we do when care is needed?  We leave it to strangers.

I get that not everyone is able to drop everything and be a stay at home mom/dad.  I understand that sometimes it isn't possible to have your elderly relatives move in with you because you can't offer the full-time care they need.  I understand all of that.

Note: I am NOT saying getting a babysitter is a bad thing.
Date night for mom and dad is IMPORTANT!
I am NOT saying a nurse for the elderly is a bad thing.
Professionals are IMPORTANT!

What I don't understand is the contempt most have for these two age groups.  No one wants you to bring your children along to a gathering because they would be a bother.  No one wants to go visit Grandma or Grandpa because no one has anything to say to them.  I don't think either age group is easy to deal with, but I don't think they should be excluded just because they aren't easy.

We used to honor old age.  What happened?  We used to celebrate children.  The more the merrier. What happened?

I pray that when my parents reach that age, I have the resources to care for them, be there for them and reminisce on all of the best times in their lives.

I pray that even when I am at my most tiredest (I know it's not a word, lol) I will still look at my children and say, "I wouldn't have it any other way."

Something important to remember is these two age groups have something in common.  They are both fleeting times in a person's life.  As I read the story of Benjamin Button, I knew one thing.  We don't have forever.  Don't waste any time sweating the small stuff.  Every age is a gift.


Check out this video!  It addresses some issues along the same lines.
It's a fabulous idea that benefits both sides!  Looks like alot of fun too!

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline/story/my-93-year-old-flatmate


Signing off for now...

Comments

Popular Posts